Did you know that standing up at work for an average 3 hours a day for a year is the equivalent calorie burn (approx 30,000 calories) of running ten marathons? I discovered this amazing statistic when I discovered a beautiful standing desk (the Eiger) at the Entrepreneurial Spark ‘Hatchery’ in Milton Keynes (where I also got excited about their reclaimed scaffold board tables).
I couldn’t afford the Eiger, so it got me thinking… could I make one by re-purposing a slatted wooden chair? I put a call-out for such a chair through our local Freegle group. I got offered three!
With a bit of head scratching (I haven’t got hair to pull out) I can up with a low-tech height-adjustable design which also folds flat for easy storage and/or transport. I’m pretty happy with the result – I use it now at my work – and some days I stand up all day.
I’m a runner, but I don’t do marathons (standing is more my scene)
9 more health benefits from using a standing desk:
- When sitting down, your metabolic rate crashes to an absolute minimum. You only burn 1 calories a minute – that’s less than chewing gum!
- As soon as you sit, electrical activity in your legs shuts down and enzymes that help break down fat drop 90%
- Sitting 6+ hours a day makes you up to 40% likelier to die in 15 years than someone who sits less than 3 hours (even if you exercise)
- Worldwide studies have warned that a sedentary lifestyle could be causing as many deaths as smoking
- People with sitting jobs have twice the rate of cardiovascular disease as those with standing jobs
- Regular exercise regimes do not negate the effects of a sedentary lifestyle – going to the gym two or three times a week isn’t enough
- Being sedentary slows down the circulatory system, blood, oxygen and vital nutrients
- In the UK, 30 million working days were lost in 2013 from musculoskeletal disorders
- Research published in The Lancet in 2016 on more than 1 million office workers found that sitting for at least 8 hours a day could increase the risk of premature death by up to 60%
Source: www.iwantastandingdesk.com (click to learn more about the Eiger)
Interested in other re-purpose projects? https://enterpriseessentials.wordpress.com/category/green-grey-repurpose